what is the difference between pirated and counterfeit software?
|Counterfeit software||Pirated software|
|In English, the pirate can be a noun, a verb or an adjective.
|In English, the piracy is a noun.|
|As a noun the word pirate is considered to a individual who commits piracy – in generally, but not exclusively, in the original sense.
|Piracy is considered as a crime. The actual meaning of piracy is robbery at sea – normally involving hostile boarding and theft of cargo etc.
|Piracy doesn’t pretend to be a brand.||Counterfeiting pretends to be a brand|
|involve selling Software||Piracy doesn’t always involve selling software|
|Counterfeiting mostly violates trademark law.||Piracy mostly violates copyright law|
|Counterfeiting is usually done with the intent to cheat the consumer||Piracy usually doesn’t cheat the customer/consumer.|
|Counterfeiting makes a software that is similar to original when we see it with a normal eye, but these kind of software pretend that as if it was made by the brand.||Piracy makes an exact copy of the original software such as a pdf file or a movie file.|
Types of Software Piracy
- Softlifting: The softlifting is the sharing of a software with a person who is not authorized by the license agreement to use it.
- Hard disk loading
- Renting: Renting involves a person renting out a copy of software for temporary use, without the consent of the copyright holder of the software.
- OEM unbundling: selling stand-alone software originally meant to be comprised with a specific associated software.
- Counterfeiting: Counterfeiting means producing fake copies of a software, making it look authentic to the user of the software.
- Online piracy
Disadvantages of using pirated software?
- Use of pirated software leads to the Violation of the law and breaking the intellectual rights of software authors.
- Use of pirated software can damage to computer and other security threats or also possible. Example is spreading malware due to the use of pirated software on your PC.
- Use of pirated software can damage to computer by spreading the spyware which allows access to personal and confidential data without knowledge of the computer user.
- Mostly customers/user are not be supported with technical help if they are using pirated.
- The pirated software are Illegally obtained by someone and that’s why may not work properly.
Countries ranking regarding Software piracy rate
Piracy rate = total number of units of pirated software / total number of software installed
- Sri Lanka
- El Salvador
- Cote d’Ivoire
- Dominican Republic
- Serbia and Montenegro
- Former Spanish colonies average
- OPEC countries average
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Emerging markets average
- Middle Eastern and North Africa average
- Costa Rica
- Hong Kong
- Saudi Arabia
- Non-religious countries average
- NATO countries average
- Puerto Rico
- South Korea
- European Union average
- Eurozone average
- Czech Republic
- High income OECD countries average
- United Arab Emirates
- South Africa
- Group of 7 countries (G7) average
- United Kingdom
- New Zealand
- United States