Last modified on March 17th, 2021
How to write Functional Requirements?
Functional Requirements must include information about
- Who will perform the function?
- for example,
- the admin can delete any user.
- the student will submit the paper online on a university CMS
- the student can check his result by entering his rollno.
- the user can add a friend
- the user can remove the friends
- for example,
- Who will perform the function on what?
- the user can upload a profile picture
- the user can send a message
- the user can read a message
- the user can delete a message
- the user can add a watermark on any page.
- What function will perform?
- the librarian can search for a book
- the student can add courses
- What will be the input?
- the user can login after matching his email address and password.
- How it will process?
- The teacher can add final term marks in CMS if mid-term marks are already published.
- What will be the output?
- the student can see his result in a text on the result page after submitting the rollno.
How to get functional and non-requirements from a case study?
Suppose you are working as a freelancer and you open fiver.com. Here, you will see that clients are interested to hire a person to complete their project but they are unable to send you a complete list of functional requirements. They just send you a scenario-based case and you need to study it and to understand it and finally to write the functional requirements according to the given case.
Example of What client wants?
Hi, My wordpress website is running slow, especially when browsed from IOS devices. Some plugins need an update, pictures are slow in loading and proper optimization for the speed is needed. It’s not a complicated website, just a portfolio of my work. I need someone to look at it and fix the issues above. Thank you.
Now, we need to understand and write functional requirements from this given case study. If we can understand this case study better, we can convince our client to hire us.
Now, let’s try to collect functional requirements from this case study.
Functional Requirement 1:The website must be optimized for speed.
Functional Requirement 2: All pictures must be optimized.
Functional Requirement 3: All expired plugins must be updated