Network model in database with examples and characteristics
In this tutorial, we will learn about the followings;
- Network model
- Examples of Network model
- Characteristics of Network model
What is database network model?
Network database model is a model for modeling the entities in such a way that one child entity can have more than one parent entities.
Give example of network model?
In the figure, we can see that subject is the child class and student and degree are the parent classes. So, subject have two parent classes.
Characteristics of network model
- More better than hierarchical model.
- Supports many to many relationships.
- Many parent can have many child.
- Many child can have many parents.
- Entities are represented as network.
- One child entity can have more than one parent entity.
- Complex structure.
- Entities can have multiple parent entities and leads to a complex structure.
- Not very flexible to reorganize the model.
- High performance
- Relationships among databases is done by programmers by using 3GL progrms.
- Query facility is not available in network model.
|Test Your Understandings|
1. Network model supports many to many relationships ? YES / NO
2. Network model is more complex than hierarchical model? YES / NO
3. Network model relationships are written in ………language?
(d) None of them