Last modified on January 31st, 2021
The database must satisfy the following two things;
- The database must meet all the requirement of 3NF
- There should be no more than one multi-valued dependencies.
According to the 4th normal form, a record type should not contain two or more independent multi-valued facts about an entity.
Consider STUDENT, Hobby, and languages, where a STUDENT may have several Hobbies and several languages.
Here, we have two many-to-many relationships;
Between STUDENT and HOBBY: Many STUDENT can have many HOBBIES.
Between STUDENT and languages: Many STUDENTS are fluent in many LANGUAGES.
Under the fourth normal form, these two relationships should not be represented in a single record such as
The table is Not in 4th Normal Form
Table: The Student table with more than one multi-valued dependency. (For example, one student can have many hobbies and similarly one student can have many languages.)
Instead, they should be represented in the two records
The tables are in 4th Normal Form
Table: Hobby table with just one multi-valued dependency
Table: Language table with just one multi-valued dependency
Excercise 1NF to 5NF
- How to write a resume for a job search: Tips for applicants - May 11, 2021
- The Best Tool to Test the Speed of Your Internet - May 5, 2021
- Why do we need various number systems in computer science? - April 16, 2021