What are independent and dependent variables?
Independent variable is a variable that does not depends on another variable. But some other variable can depend on independent variables called dependent variables.
Independent variable focus is on causal relations and mostly it begin with an effect. After finding the effects researcher search for its causes.
What are examples of independent and dependent variables?
- Amount of temperature effects on health of a person.Suppose;Variable 1 : Amount of temperatureVariable 2: Health of a personNow, suppose it is a hot summer, if amount of temperature is increased to a specific amount then health of a person can be in danger.
So, we can say that;
- Variable 1 is independent variable
- Variable 2 is dependent variable
- Total amount of cold drinks taken is an independent variable but belly fat is a dependent variable because belly fat depends on cold drink taken.
- Marks of a student is independent variable but result of student depends on marks so result is dependent variable.
- Total time of listening a radio is independent variable but wastage of time is a variable that depend on total time of listening a radio.
Research is start with independent or dependent variables?
Most of the time research is starts with independent variable and then we works for depending variables to get details focus on cause of the problem. However sometimes research can also be initiated by dependent variables.
How to find that which variable is independent or dependent variables?
We can change the values of one variable and can observe the effects on another variable. If value in second variable is changed then it means that first variable is independent variable.