Automated Timetable Generator PHP Project – SRS Document
Project Domain / Category:
Abstract / Introduction:
Most Universities these days have a number of Faculties and Departments and each Department offer different Degree/ Study Programs. Each Study Program has multiple batches enrolled and different Courses are taught in a semester in different Study Programs.
Since there are limited Faculty members (Course Instructors), each Instructor teaching more than one Courses, and Lecture rooms are also limited. Therefore, a timetable is needed to schedule the lectures of Instructors at provided time slots in such a way that their timings do not overlap and the timetable schedule makes the best use of all the Instructors and lecture rooms.
In modern educational Institutions, there is a great need to have an automated timetable generation mechanism, as such timetable scheduling is a very hectic job and can have a lot of clashes if done manually. Timetable scheduling done manually takes a lot of effort and time. While scheduling even the smallest constraints can take a lot of time and the cases are even worse when the number of constraints or the amount of data to deal with increases. Dealing with changes is very hard and it may lead to rescheduling the entire timetable once again.
Automated Timetable Generator is an easy web-based application that automates the process of timetable scheduling. Degree program-wise, Instructor-wise and Lecture room- wise timetable schedule can be generated in a .pdf format.
Some of the functional requirements are:
- Login process/ authentication for an administrator who will make /update the timetable
- Users will have open access to the timetable using a webpage/ internet link
- There will be 5 Modules in this project as follows:
- Department Details
- Degree/Study Program Details
- Instructors Details
- Time Table Allocation Details
- Courses Details
- Degree program-wise, Instructor-wise and Lecture room- wise timetable schedule should be generated in a .pdf format
- Some of the mandatory constraints are as follows:
- All lectures of a course must be scheduled to a distinct Slot and a distinct room o Any two lectures cannot be assigned in the same Slot and the same room
o Lectures of courses in the same Study Program or taught by the same Instructor cannot be scheduled in the same Slot, i.e., any Slot cannot have an overlapping of students or Instructors
o For each lecture, the number of students attending the course should not be greater than the capacity of the room hosting the lecture
o All lectures of a course should be scheduled at the same room. If this is impossible, the number of occupied rooms should be as few as possible
Server-side programming language: PHP or ASP.NET
Scripting and styling languages: HTML and CSS
IDE: PHP Storm or NetBeans or any one of your choiLocalhost
ost Server: WAMP or XAMPP