Smart Math – Android App Project – SRS Document
Here, we are discussing an idea of Smart Math – Android App Project – SRS Document.
Project Domain / Category:
Abstract / Introduction:
Math is one of the hardest subjects in educational institutes, which is why owning a scientific calculator seems like a necessity for students. But what if one could use a smartphone to solve equations by pointing the camera at the problem in the textbook instead of using a calculator? That is the basic idea behind a Math solving smartphone app.
Smart Math is an Android-based mobile application that can read and solve mathematical expressions using smartphone camera in real time. It provides a step-by-step guide showing how each of the problems is solved, which is beneficial to students that do not have access to a tutor or struggle with solving math problems. Parents, as well, can use this app to jog their memory when teaching math to their kids.
The functional requirements are as follows;
- The completely offline app, i.e. no Internet Connection needed.
- The app should provide a solution to Math problems on basis of following three modes;
- Camera Mode: Point the camera towards a Math problem and show the result instantly.
- Photo Mode: Browse a photo from SD Card, fetch expression and solve it.
- Written Mode: Write the expression in an editing text field (e. Text View / Text Area)
and evaluate it.
- It can solve simple as well as complex Math problems, like; Arithmetic, Integers, Fractions, Decimal Numbers, Roots, Algebraic Expressions, Linear & Quadratic Equations, Derivatives, and Integrals etc.
- It should provide a complete step-by-step explanation to solutions.
- Calculation history should be maintained by storing all problems along with their solutions in an internal database (e. SQLite);
- The app should display all history (i.e. saved problems & solutions) in ascending or descending order on the basis of their titles or created dates.
- The user should be able to add custom title/note to any saved record.
- The user should be fascinated by giving basic features like search, copy, edit, delete and share problems and their solutions.
- The app should be customizable by changing the syntax style, text color and font size etc.
- Permissions for accessing device camera and read/write SD Card contents should be granted at appropriate actions.
Note: This project requires proper understanding of Optical Character Recognition (OCR) technique and its implementations. For more about OCR, visit;
IDE: Android Studio
Programming language: Java