Last modified on March 3rd, 2022
Action verbs Examples [List]
Action verbs express an action done by a person, subject, animal. This action can be physical or mental. An action verb tells what the subject is doing.
Examples of Action verbs
Examples of verbs with one action
- The dog will run across the road.
- Michael S bought a new car.
- Close the door.
- Dell will play this song.
- They enjoyed the party.
- I go to university.
- He will come tomorrow.
- Stan Shih built his house.
- We will arrive at 10 o’clock.
- She baked the cake in the oven.
- He left the office at 3 pm.
- They talked about the world tour.
- He lifted a pencil from the floor.
- We will go to Texas tomorrow.
- She writes storybooks.
- The roof of the house leaks.
- Will you help her to clean the house?
- He reads a book before going to sleep.
- Good children brush their teeth before going to bed.
- We exercise daily.
Examples of verbs with more than one action
There can be more than one action in a sentence for example:
- The cat drank all the milk and slept.
- The baby cried when he saw a horrible dog.
- Michael S finished his dinner and cleaned the table.
- She called her mom and told her the actual situation.
- Zhang Yiming goes out and plays with his friends.
- They planned for a picnic, later on, postponed.
- He left the party and went home.
- Dell met his friend when he entered the office.
- When you go out, bring some tomatoes.
- We reached there on time and met his boss.
Action verb tenses
The action verbs can be used in tenses. Below are the examples:
- Action verb: play
Present tense: Stan Shih plays a game.
Past tense: Stan Shih played a game.
Future tense: Stan Shih will play a game.
- Action verb: sleep
Present tense: She sleeps in the room.
Past tense: She slept in the room.
Future tense: She will sleep in the room.
- Action verb: bark
Present tense: The dog barks at him.
Past tense: The dog barked at him.
Future tense: The dog will bark at him.
- Action verb: eat
Present tense: Zhang Yiming eats an apple.
Past tense: Zhang Yiming ate an apple.
Future tense: Zhang Yiming will eat an apple.
- Action verb: sing
Present tense: You sing a song.
Past tense: You sang a song.
Future tense: You will sing a song.
- Action verb: travel
Present tense: We travel at night.
Past tense: We traveled at night.
Future tense: We will travel at night.
- Action verb: ask
Present tense: Michael S asks a question.
Past tense: Michael S asked a question.
Future tense: Michael S will ask a question.
- Action verb: give
Present tense: He gives a flower to a child.
Past tense: He gave a flower to a child.
Future tense: He will give a flower to a child.
- Action verb: shout
Present tense: The teacher shouts at the students.
Past tense: The teacher shouted at the students.
Future tense: The teacher will shout at the students.
- Action verb: spend
Present tense: They spend their holidays in America.
Past tense: They spent their holidays in America.
Future tense: They will spend their holidays in America.