Last modified on April 29th, 2021
Code and documentation of Spatio-Temporal Characterization(STC) of Network Traffic Project
Project Domain / Category
Abstract / Introduction
The knowledge of network traffic behavior is important for traffic engineering tasks such as link capacity planning, traffic classification, and anomaly detection. Traffic characterization is typically addressed through statistical analysis of individual link(s) and network-wide traffic volume properties such as counts of bytes and packets as well as by analyzing the distributional behavior of particular packet header fields.
This project aims to develop a software solution to characterize network traffic to identify the spatio temporal features. The network traffic captures can be downloaded from the data source given in tools section. Any other data source can also be used.
Students will be required to investigate the spatio temporal features of network traffic and develop an appropriate software solution to analyze the traffic from data sources given in this document.
- The solution should be able to read the pcap files and extract the header information such as timestamps , source/destination addresses, TCP port, Packet Size, Type of Packet and other relevant information.
- It should be able to store the extracted header information in a persistent database or text file such as csv.
- The solution should allow the users to split the large size pcap files into smaller size based on file size and time duration.
- It should be able to identify top flows for user traffic and network control plane traffic based on followings
- Source and destination with TCP port
- application type
- Data rates
- Session length
- It should be able to measure the Flow Similarity across daily/weekly traffic captures.
- It should be able to approximate data rate probability distribution for distinct flows for daily traffic
- It should be able to approximate interpacket delay distribution on daily traffic
- The results should include the analysis of at least one-week traffic captures of fifteen minutes from reputable internet traffic sources.
Python/Java, C/C++ (other programming languages could also be used.), And IDE of choice Data Source : http://mawi.wide.ad.jp/mawi/samplepoint-G/2020/
Class diagram, activity diagram, data flow diagram, sequence diagram, use case diagram, Use case description, scope, hard requirements, non-functional requirements, testing test cases, SRS document, design manual, and other diagrams are needed to draw for this project.
- How to write a resume for a job search: Tips for applicants - May 11, 2021
- The Best Tool to Test the Speed of Your Internet - May 5, 2021
- Why do we need various number systems in computer science? - April 16, 2021