To reset the .htaccess file of a WordPress site, we can follow following steps:
1. open your website dashboard using an FTP client or the file manager of your hosting account.
2. Go to the .htaccess file. Its can be found in the root directory of file manager. For example, it can be the public_html or www folder.
3. Rename the existing .htaccess file to something like .htaccess_old or simply delete it, but deleting it can be risky, so I will recommend you to just rename it.
4. Go to the settings in your WordPress dashboard.
6. Here, click on the save button. Nothing more required.
Enjoy! This will generate a new .htaccess file with the default settings of htaccess file for your wordpress website.
7. Open website to to confirm the changes. If not, you can try restoring the .htaccess file from a backup or contact your hosting provider for assistance.