Table of Contents
Applied Chemical Thermodynamics Universities Past Papers
Q.1 Attempt the following MCQs: 7*2=14
- Heat Pump __________ _A: accomplishes only space heating in winter. B: accomplishes only space cooling in summer C: accomplishes both (a) and (b). D: works on the Carnot cycle.
- Maximum work that could be secured by expanding the gas over a given pressure range is the __________ work. A: Isothermal B: Isentropic C: adiabatic D: none of these
- Heat of reaction at constant volume is identified with __________ change. A: enthalpy B: internal energy C: either A or B, D: neither A nor B.
- Throttling process is a/an __________ process. A: reversible and isothermal B: irreversible and constant enthalpy C: reversible and constant entropy D: reversible and constant enthalpy
- A reduced pressure of a gas is the ratio of it’s A: pressure to critical pressure B: critical pressure to pressure C: pressure to pseudo critical pressure D: pseudocritical pressure to pressure.
- The ideal gas law is applicable at A: low T, low P B: high T, high P C: low T, high P D: high T, low P
- Specific __________ does not change during phase change at constant temperature and pressure.
A: internal energy B: entropy C: Gibbs energy D: enthalpy
Question No: 02 8+6
- Write seven key points of Kinetic theory of Gases, also explain possible diagram of Gase’s molecule collision.
- Define the following systems of Thermodynamics A: Open System B: Close system C: Isolated System.
Question No: 03 8+6
- Write short notes on Phase rule and Phase Equilibrium of Liquid- vapors system.
- Explain Enthalpy of the formation with the mathematical relation.
Question No: 04 8+6
- Explain isentropic process in Nozzle and Derive nozzle efficiency equation.
- Define Bond dissociation energy and mean bond energy.
Question No: 05 4+10
- Define Reversible and Irreversible Process with a practical example.
- Explain the Second Law of Thermodynamics with the example of Refrigeration.
Question No: 06 7+7
- Define Polytropic system.
- Describe three cases of polytropic for (i) n= 1 (ii) n= 0 (iii) n>0
Question No: 07 Write short notes on any two of the following: 7+7=14
- Demonstrate Effect of temperature on the equilibrium constant.
- Define Heat Pump Cycles and its coefficient of performance.
- Define the internal combustion engine and jet engine with label diagram.