Engineering Materials & Science Past Papers 1
Paper: Applied Physics
Time Allowed: 3 hours
Total Marks: 70, Passing Marks (35)
Q.1 True/False. (14)
- Column is a flexure member.
- Brittle materials typically fail fast and with excessive plastic deformation.
- Strain is the measure of force per unit cross sectional area.
- Riveted joints are more durable than welded joints.
- Stress is indirectly proportional to strain.
- Buckling occurs mainly in flexure members.
- Broken glass is the example of plastic deformation.
a.Define stress. Also explain types of shear stress. (7+7)
b. Explain dynamic loading.
a. Explain stress strain diagram for a mild steel. (7+7)
b. Differentiate between Riveted and welded connection.
a. Define beam and types of beam. (7+7)
b. Explain beam under simple loading and dynamic loading.
Q.5 Explain torsion in hollow shaft of uniform thickness. (14)
a. Explain deflection in beam. (7+7)
b. Explain nonuniform and composites shafts.
Q.7 Explain principle stresses and compound stresses theories of failure. (14)
Q.8 Write short notes on any two of the following (7+7)
(a)Creep and fatigue