Bluetooth VS infrared – Comparison of Range and transmission speed
Range Of Bluetooth
Bluetooth used to transfer data using radio waves. It is used to transfer data on a particular frequency of 2.4 gigaHertz.It is used to send data from one device to another. It is known as wireless technology. It is used for the wireless communication between the two devices.it is used to send data on a short distance.
Range Of Bluetooth
The maximum range of Bluetooth Is 10 meters. Although twice that of infrared.
You have many advantages over infrared.
The transmission speed of Bluetooth
Bluetooth used to transfer data on the rate of 1 and 3 megabits per second. The common effective speed is 3 Mbps.
Uses of Bluetooth
Bluetooth mostly used in mobile devices. it is used to transfer data from one mobile phone to another. Still, it is commonly used in computer other peripheral devices.
Bluetooth used Radio waves for the transmission of data instead of light. It is not a very big issue for these limitations. The communicating devices can be placed
Anywhere within an effective range.
Advantage of Bluetooth
- It avoids interferences from other devices.
- It used less power.
- It is easily upgradable.
- It has a better range than infrared.
- Bluetooth devices are inexpensive.
- Bluetooth used to transfer voice and data.
- It is free to use.
- This technology used in many devices headsets in card system printer etc
Disadvantage of Bluetooth
- It can lose connection in many situations.
- security is a big issue of Bluetooth.
- It can only allow short-range communication between devices.
- It has low bandwidth than Wi-Fi.
Infrared is the wireless technology that is commonly used for wireless communication between electronic devices. It used wireless infrared pulses for transmission of data,these pulses are not seen by the human eye but can be detected by a sensor in receiving data. It is a very effective technique used in a different application.
Range of Infrared
Effective range for infrared is very short. It is used to transfer data not more than 5 meters, and often closer to each other.
The transmission speed of infrared
Internet wireless transmits data in the range between 115 kilobits per second and 15 megabits per second depending upon the device and also depends upon the position of the devices. Infrared devices are much greater than that of Bluetooth devices The most common speed for infrared is 3 Mbps.
Uses of Infrared
Infrared wireless is more effectively used by the device that closes to each other and relatively stationary. One of the main uses of infrared is in-home electronic devices. And now it’s popular in different applications, like the wireless keyboard. Due to Line of Sight limitation infrared wireless is mostly used in devices that are placed in one place are close to each other.
Advantages of infrared
- It provides secure communication due to the line of sight and points to point communication.
- The battery used in infrared devices run for a long time
- It has a faster response time.
- It provides good stability time
- The infrared technology is more effective for devices that are close to each other close more than 10 millimeter
- They are small in size
- They are less expensive
- They provide high security for the data.
- It provides high repeatability
Disadvantages of Infrared Technology
- Infrared wave at high power can damage the eyes
- Infrared waves are damaged by dust Smoke for sunlight etc.
- It required line-of-sight between the sender and receiver.
- It supports short-range and performance is the degrade with long-distance
- It supports lower data transmission
- It can easily handle only one device at one
- It is lower than Bluetooth.
Comparison Table of Bluetooth and Infrared
|Bluetooth used radio waves||Infrared used pulses of infrared light that not visible by naked eyes|
|Bluetooth sends data over 10 meters||Infrared transfer data over the 10 millimeters|
|Communicating devices can be placed anywhere in an effective range||Communicating devices must be close to each other|
|Its speed is high||Its speed is slow|
|It mostly used in mobile phones for data transmission||It mostly used in home electronic devices
|It needs no line of sight.||It needs line of sight or points to point transmission|