Time Allowed: 15 Minutes
Maximum Marks: 10
NOTE: Attempt this Paper on this Question Sheet only. Please encircle the correct option. Division of marks is given in front of each question. This Paper will be collected back after expiry of time limit mentioned above.
Part-I Encircle the right answer, cutting and overwriting are not allowed. (10)
1. What’s the difference between genetic drift and change due to natural selection?
(A) Genetic drift does not require the presence of variation.
(B) Genetic drift does not involve competition between members of a species.
(C) Genetic drift never occurs in nature, natural selection does.
(D) There is no difference.
2. Of the following, which characterize a population in Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium?
(A) large population size
(B) No mutation
(C) absence of gene flow
(D) All above
3. Which of the following are difficult to explain in terms of natural selection?
(A) Male peacocks evolve tail feathers that would appear to make them more rather than less vulnerable to predators.
(B) Male deer evolve antlers that are not used to defend themselves against predators.
(C) A bird issues a warning cry that puts it at greater risk of being noticed by a predator
(D) Some traits appear to have no adaptive value.
4. Disruptive selection occurs when
(A) the environment controls which organisms will survive.
(B) the extremes of the population have a lesser chance to survive
(C) the extremes of the population have a better chance to survive
(D) the organisms on one extreme of the population have a better chance to survive
5. A modern day example of evolution and natural selection is:
(A) The evolution of humans
(B) The evolution of car designs
(C) The evolution of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
6. Primitive atmosphere was ___ with no free molecular oxygen.